Friday, March 19, 2010

Sous What?

I had felt kind of weird before about posting some of my husband's extreme nerdy-ness, but after I said something about posting about all of his crazy ideas he jumped right on board. I have been given free reign to post about all of his (our?) adventures.

For those who don't know, I have a very nerdy husband who gets on a kick and searches the mess out of it. When he wants to know something, he figures it out to the point of almost becoming an expert. Because of this, he enjoys puzzles and mind games. Any way the latest in a long line of obses... I mean hobbies... is Sous Vide cooking. From what I can understand, sous vide is a style of cooking that originated in the 70's? Any way basically you use Food-saver bags, water, and this sous vide machine to cook your food. It keeps your food at a certain degree to cook the food without over cooking it. You can keep it on for hours and it won't over cook... and because it keeps the water below boiling, it doesn't use much electricity. So after you pull the meat out of the food-saver bag, all that is left to do is brown it and it is supposed to stay moist and keep its flavor. Vegetables cooked in it are supposed to retain their vitamins and nutrients. It is pretty much the nerdiest way to cook that I have seen so far.We are supposed pick it up from Fed-ex this evening since the place we pick up packages is closed for spring break. I'll tell you how it goes. I think the first meal is going to be flat iron steak...

No comments: