Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Almost sandies jam thumbprint cookies

So yesterday I had a huge craving for something sweet and snacky. (I blame it on switching BC.) So I pulled out my pink cookbook to see what ingredients we had and what would be easy. So I stumbled across a thumbprint cookie recipe that called for finely chopped walnuts, which I didn't have so I substituted pecans I had leftover. Anyway, I was trying to figure out what the taste was... sandies! So here is the recipe

Jam Thumbprints (from the New Cookbook)
2 eggs
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (pecans)
1/3 to 1/2 cup jam or preserves

1. Separate eggs; place yokes and whites in separate bowls. Cover and chill egg whites until needed. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 sec. Add sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yokes and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.

2. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a cookie sheet; set it aside. Shape dough in to 1-inch balls. Slightly beat reserved egg whites. Roll balls in egg whites, then walnut (pecans) to coat. Place balls 1-inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball of dough.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Just before serving, fill cookie centers with Jam.

if you just want the sandie taste don't put a thumbprint but just leave as balls.

No comments: